The Societe » History
The Société Philanthropique"Association Francaise"
The Societe Culinaire Philanthropique - the oldest Association of Chefs, Cooks, Pastry Chefs, etc.... in the United States - was founded (on April 22, 1865) by a group of French Chefs; F. Lesourd, L. Ragot, F. Deliee, A. Wurth and Gustave Feraud. The Societe has now over 400 members.
Many of America’s most famous chefs are counted in its membership. These men and women are responsible for the organization of the annual Salon of Culinary Arts which has done so much for the promotion of French Cuisine in the United States since 1866, date of the first salon. These events have gained such recognition that since 1912, the French Government has presented each year a medal to the laureate of the Salon in official recognition. The organization of these expositions is considered an inheritance by the Societe’s members, and each is aware of the professional duties he assumes.
On the occasion of the 85th Anniversary of the Societe, on April 1, 1950, the Government of the French Republic, in recognition of meritorious services rendered to the culinary profession at large, awarded the Societe the Foreign Affairs Medal of Honor (Medaille d’Honneur des af-faires Etrangeres).